FickleKnitterFiend

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Procrastination -or- The appeal of Noro

Isn't it easier to knit when you have other obligations in the pipeline? They're all Christmas gifts, that means something right? Like Karma points? I can't resist the lure of Noro. It's not the softest yarn. But the colors are gorgeous. And the transistions are breathtaking. The Noro hat pattern I made up on US 5 DPN's. My gauge was ~4 st/in. It needs to be wet blocked (hoping it will relax a bit). Co 80 sts, k2, p2 for about an inch and a half. Knit til you have 6" (from bottom to top of needle). Start decreases. You can do it your favorite way. I did it by adding a st marker every 10 st. Switch to DPNs when sts are too difficult to move around on needle. Row 1 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 2 K row Row 3 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 4 K row Row 5 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 6 K row Row 7 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 8 K row Row 9 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 10 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row11 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 12 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 13 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Row 14 K to 2 before st marker, k2 together Cut the yarn so that you have about a foot of tail. Pull tail through each st and pull through center of hat. The mittens are 36 st mittens from Knitting Without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmerman. It's a fantastic book, and I've enjoyed her perspective. You don't have to have a fully written out pattern, and you can knit however you please. But (as in my case previously) if your technique is different from other knitters you will have a hard time discussing technique with them. . You can find her website here Schoolhouse Press
I wanted to do a chevron type pattern, or fan and feather type pattern for the scarf. Here's the link Easy Lace Scarf
I've memorized the pattern already! I wrote it out on my spiral bound index cards for reference .